Data science has taken the business world by storm. Companies and brands not only understand the enormous value that data analysis can bring, but they want to start working with it as soon as possible. The tourism and travel industry is no exception, and a lot of teams are really excited about this possibility but don’t know where to start. But fear not! Our Destination Brand Awareness Report (BAR) might just be the perfect first step to take on the road to data intelligence.
The BAR is designed to help destinations and travel brands make strategic decisions. The goal of the report is to shed light on the minds of travellers from a specific outbound market that visits a destination of interest. The report consists of four parameters:
Outbound market: The traveller’s country of origin
Destination: The destination being investigated – currently, 147 destinations around the world are available
Destination Factors: When having a look at destination factors, the report explores the level of importance that travellers consider of those factors at the moment of choosing a destination. For example, nature and outdoor experiences are the most relevant destination factors for Nordic travellers that want to visit Japan within the next 3 years. With the report, you choose 5 destination factors that are relevant to your destination
Competitors: The destinations that your travellers might choose instead of yours
A Swiss Army knife of data
After defining these 4 parameters, we will analyse over 15 million data points to produce a rich report, filled with actionable insights. The BAR, in combination with our guidance, will give you an integral perspective of your destination and provide perception, behavioural and demographic data. The report includes 5 sections:
- Brand Position: A section focused on the destination’s position in our unique image index. This ranking is based on a comprehensive algorithm that compares and combines three different indexes: Perception, experience, and awareness. The result is a global scoring for the overall image of a destination, regarding both those who have visited and those who haven’t.
- Perception Audit: This section focuses on the segment of travellers that have not visited the destination. What is their perception? Would they like to visit one day? Do they plan to visit within the next three years?
- Experience Audit: This section focuses on the segment of travellers that have visited the destination. Which percentage of your outbound market has visited the destination? What was their experience like? We include not only negative and positive reviews, but also those that had such a great time that they would like to revisit.
- Demographics: This section divides your outbound market and compares the demographic information of the general population with those who have visited your destination. It compares the size of the sample, gender, age distribution, marital status, and education. It also provides relevant financial data like household income, current, and future travel budgets.
- Ultimate Traveller: This section summarises the most frequent answers in each section of the Travellyze survey. With this data, we build a profile of the typical traveller from a given market to a given destination. For example, when analysing Swedish travellers that visit Croatia, we know that the Ultimate Traveller is a 65-74 woman that finds inspiration for her holidays through search engines. This analysis includes demographic and behavioural data like inspiration sources, booking habits, preferred holiday type, and accommodation, among others.
How can it help me?
The BAR has already helped many destinations and travel brands around the world to understand where they stand within a specific market. It is perfect for market research and provides the context needed to develop effective marketing campaigns and strategies.
Previously, we have used the BAR as part of our work with several destinations and it is a great addition to our other research and market insights. You can either choose to just receive the BAR, or you can get a thorough walkthrough where we discuss the BAR and the insights in it.
So in sum, our BAR grants you access to a comprehensive level of data that will help you understand your standing within a specific market. It is very easy to understand and will help you to utilize the potential of your destination. To know more, please feel free to reach out to our Data specialist Dennis at email@example.com.